Visit Asbury Park and Ocean Grove on Wheels
>> The boardwalk between Asbury Park and Ocean Grove is relatively level, as are Ocean Grove's city streets. This flat terrain makes strolling, bike riding, and kick scooting around the cities easy and pleasurable. Unfortunately, while there are no restrictions for strolling or kick scooting on the boardwalk, bike access is regulated during the summer.
The similarities between New Jersey's neighboring Asbury Park and Ocean Grove include their shared boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean. Both destinations offer plenty of special events, many of which attract the same big-named stars that appear in nearby New York City. Their differences?
- Asbury Park provides public changing facilities, numerous boardwalk restaurants, high-quality specialty shops, a kid's spray park, miniature golf, bike and beach rentals, easy parking (for a reasonable fee), early-1900s Art Deco architecture, The Carousel (a stunning entertainment center), and a convention center.
- Ocean Grove provides a visual feast of Victorian Painted Lady Inns and a quaint, historic shopping and dining avenue. Most important for some people is its Christian retreat center run by the United Methodist Church that features a world-famous Tent City, beautifully landscaped grounds, and The Great Hall that is used for religious and secular special events.
For more detailed sightseeing information, see our related article on www.LetsKickScoot - Sightseeing in Asbury Park and Ocean Grove on Kick Scooters.
- Day Trip to Ocean Grove and Asbury Park from New York City: Read my August 5, 2009 article about these two beach towns on Littleviews.com.
- Resort Maps: Search for "Ocean Grove, NJ" to see a detailed resort map on Ocean Grove and Asbury Park.
- Ocean Grove Historic District Walking Tours: Follow walking tour maps provided by The Historical Society of Ocean Grove.
- Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association: Learn more about the association that owns the town, plus view its events calendar.
- Ocean Grove Community: Learn more about the Ocean Grove Community and its special events.
- Tent City in Ocean Grove, New Jersey: Read about the history of Ocean Grove's Tent City.
- Ocean Grove Bake Shoppe: See some of the great cookie bars this bake shop produces.
- Search for Ocean Grove Inns: View a list of Ocean Grove Inns.
- City of Asbury Park: Learn more about the city as well as its famous beach.
- Asbury Park Boardwalk Association: Review a calendar of events, check out its resources, and see really cool graphics.
- Cycling the Asbury Park Boardwalk: View a video of the Asbury Park boardwalk from the handlebars of a bike. Check for hours when biking along the boardwalk is permissable.
- Brielle Cyclery: Rent individual and group bikes on the Asbury Park boardwalk.
- The Carousel Building in Asbury Park: Learn more about Asbury Park's stunning, Art Deco entertainment center by the South Casino.
- Irene damages some beaches, spares others along coast: Read an August 30, 2011, Reuters article about the aftermath of Hurricane Irene in Asbury Park.
- Asbury Park, New Jersey - From Wikipedia: Read a very informative (but a bit out-of-date) historical information about Asbury Park.
- Palace Amusements - From Wikipedia: Read a very informative article about the now-gone Palace Amusement park that was next to the south casino that today is best known for its logo, Tillie. It depicts a garish, wide-smiling boy who has way too many teeth. You can still see an original Tillie in Asbury Park today.
Questions? Just ask!
Article and photographs by Karen Little. Full article first published on www.LetsKickScoot.com on 9/3/2011 and referenced on www.Littleviews.com. All rights reserved.